Guelph-Based Firm RWDI Expands and Innovates
September 15, 2017
September 15, 2017 Guelph, Ontario
Investing in innovative Canadian companies helps create a thriving economy and good quality jobs for residents.
Today, Lloyd Longfield, Member of Parliament for Guelph, announced that internationally-recognized building performance, climate and environmental engineering consulting firm Rowan Williams Davies and Irwin Inc. (RWDI)is receiving a repayable contribution of up to $4.5 million, through the Investing in Business Growth and Productivity initiative. The support will allow RWDI to complete improvements to its new 130,000-square foot facility, acquire new equipment and construct two new state-of-the-art wind tunnels. Through this project, RWDI expects to add up to 63 full-time equivalent jobs to its highly-skilled workforce of engineers, scientists, and specialists.
As developers continually push engineering boundaries with taller and more complex buildings, there is growing demand for RWDI’s expertise to ensure these structures can withstand wind and other environmental effects.
New, advanced equipment and increased operational capacity resulting from this project will allow RWDI to capitalize on new market opportunities and remain globally competitive.
“RWDI is a long-time, local success story for Guelph. FedDev Ontario funding has allowed the company to expand its operations and adopt state-of-the-art equipment and technology, so it can continue to use innovation to resolve complex building issues and ensure the safety of infrastructure projects in Canada and around the world.”
- Lloyd Longfield, Member of Parliament for Guelph
“To remain competitive in the global economy, Canada must do more to encourage innovation. This includes making strategic investments in innovative, forward-looking companies, like RWDI. This investment will help the company to seize new business opportunities and enhance its global presence, while creating skilled jobs for Canadians.”
- The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and
Minister responsible for the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario
“We are proud to be a Canadian company and expand our operations in Guelph. This investment allows us to construct new state of the art wind tunnel testing capabilities and continue on the path of innovation set by our founders more than 40 years ago. This will help us boost our competitiveness, offer even greater innovative solutions for our valued customers around the world and continue to redefine possible.”
- Michael Soligo, President & CEO, Rowan Williams Davies & Irwin Inc.
- Established in 1972, RWDI is a science and engineering consulting firm that specializes in environmental, wind and climate modelling for the development of buildings and other large structures such as sport stadiums, concert halls and suspension bridges.
- Headquartered in Guelph, the RWDI Group of companies has offices in Canada, USA, United Kingdom, India, China, Singapore and Hong Kong.
- The company has been involved in many high-profile projects including the Grand Canyon Skywalk and the Burj Khalifa, currently the world’s tallest building. Locally, RWDI provided air quality, noise and vibration assessments for the Highway 407 expansion project.
- FedDev Ontario’s repayable contribution, through the Investing in Business Growth and Productivity initiative, is leveraging $18.48 million in private sector and other investment, for a total project cost of $22.98 million.
- 30 -
Toll Free: 1-866-593-5505