In October 2015, Lloyd was elected to Parliament as the Liberal Party of Canada candidate for Guelph, Ontario. Lloyd has since served as a member of the Standing Committee for Industry, Science and Technology, as a member of the Standing Committee for Agriculture and Agri-Food, as Vice-Chair of the Standing Committee on Public Accounts and as a member of the Standing Committee on the Environment and Sustainable Development.
In addition to his committee roles, Lloyd has served as Chair of the Parliamentary Health Research Caucus, he has chaired the Innovation Caucus, Co-Chaired the Automotive Caucus and acted as Secretary of the Ontario Caucus. He has also been an active member in the Social Innovation caucus, the Mental Health Caucus as well as several Intergovernmental Parliamentary groups with countries such as India, Italy, and organizations like NATO.
Lloyd is focused on collaborating locally on priorities such as the environment, housing, mental health, Indigenous reconciliation, early learning, childcare, entrepreneurship and economic development.
Lloyd has been serving Guelph for 30 years in community benefit organizations including 7 years as the President of the Guelph Chamber of Commerce. This followed a successful career as a Mechanical Engineering Technologist, working in manufacturing ranging from his own business start-up to working with businesses across Canada to improve their productivity and competitiveness through automation, process improvement, and innovation.
Lloyd has been happily married to his high school sweetheart Barb since 1978 and together they have 3 daughters and 4 grandchildren.
Highlights of Lloyd's community leadership includes:
- Guelph Chamber of Commerce, Executive Director 2008-2015
- Chamber Executives of Ontario, Chair 2012-2013
- Ontario Chamber of Commerce, Director 2013-2014
- Rotary Club of Guelph Wellington, Member 2013-Present
- Innovation Guelph, Co-Founder, Director, Mentor 2010-2015
- Local Immigration Partnership, Founding Director 2009-2015
- YMCA-YWCA Guelph, Director 2009-2012
- Institute for Canadian Citizenship Guelph, Chair 2014-2015
- AIESEC Guelph International Internship Advisory Committee, Chair 2014-2015
- University of Guelph College of Business & Economics Advisory Board 2012-2015
- Conestoga College Career & Academic Access Advisory Board 2012-2015
- Guelph Wellington Poverty Elimination Task Force 2013-2015
- Guelph Partnership for Innovation, Director 2008-2010
- Immigrant Services Guelph Welling, Director 2008-2015
- Career Education Council, Director 2008-2013
- Downtown Guelph Business Association, Director 2008-2014
- Guelph-Wellington Business Enterprise Centre, Director 2008-2014
- St Joseph's Hospital Quality Management Advisory Team 2012-2014
- GTA West Transportation Study 2011-2014
- Guelph Community Energy Plan Task Force 2008-2009
- Sustainable Guelph Task Force 2009-2014
- Guelph Prosperity 2020 Economic Development Plan 2008-2010
- Guelph Waste Water Management Task Force 2009-2010
- Guelph Water Conservation Committee 2010-2012
- Guelph Solid Waste Master Plan 2013-2014
- River Run Centre Board of Directors 2008-2010
- Holy Rosary Parish Council, Chair 1993-1998
- St James Catholic School Parent Council, Chair 1997-2002
- Queen's Jubilee Award 2012
- Canadian Blood Services over 115 Donations
- Click here to see a video showcasing MP Longfield's 100th donation.
- Fluid Power Design Inc, Founder, CEO 1986-1988
- HyPower Systems Manitoba Inc, CEO 1988-1992
- IMI Norgen Ltd, Managing Director 1992-2003
- Hydac International, General Manager 2003-2008
- Canadian Fluid Power Association, Director 2004-2008
- Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers, 2003-2008