Protect Yourself Against Fraud
August 16, 2022
Scammers are targeting individuals and businesses – Here are some things you can do to protect yourself:
- Don’t be afraid to say no and hang up if someone asks for money, uses high pressure tactics and plays on emotions. Many scams ask for fees up front for goods, services or prizes.
- Make sure you do your research on companies before you pay a deposit. There are no fees to collect a prize in Canada.
- Protect your online accounts and computers. Do not click on messages that pop up while you are online. Watch for emails with errors and do not click on links or attachments as the may contain viruses or spyware.
- Do not reveal private information on social media and never give anyone remote access to your computer.
- Use strong and unique passwords for every online account you have.
If you feel you have been targeted or are a victim of fraud please report it. You can visit the Canadian Anti-fraud Centre through this link https://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/index-eng.htm or call 1-888-495-8501